Friday, June 21, 2019

Upper and Middle Stretchers Fitted

The upper and middle stretchers have been fitted. Next up is the bottom stretcher with a lapped dovetail joint and then drill and pare the long stretcher mortise. Other than size and the angle the long stretcher mortise is a piece of cake because it needs to be loose.


There is a very slight curve in the #IV middle stretcher shoulder causing a small gap at the top. I'm not sure if it is worth fooling with it is so slight, other than the one shoulder everything has pulled up nice and tight.

I've the weekend off. If I can stay out of MsBubba's line of sight I might get the base units finished. Still a bit of work with a slab glue up, vise chop/backer board install and tool tray to build.

I ordered the BenchCrafted Classic Vise Screw with the new 14" Crisscross this morning, I could be waiting on the vise hardware to finish this sucker.

ken

2 comments:

  1. I'll be interested in your thoughts on the BC vise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ralph,

      It has shipped, much quicker than expected. One of the nice things about this bench design is changing vise design is no big deal. Make a new vise backer and chop then install that sucker, done.

      If I don't like it it will be easy to change to the Lake Erie 2X screw and sell the BC one.

      ken

      Delete