Monday, June 03, 2019

"I don't much care for furniture making, but I love to make work benches!"

While looking at an old thread about workbenches on SMC I ran across that quote by George Wilson. George was/is a very accomplished woodworker/instrument maker. That quote was like a slap upside the head. It made me realize that's pretty much how I feel. I make furniture as an excuse to make workbenches. I may be re-ordering my work. 

There is likely a new small, light, and portable Moravian bench in my future. I really want to try the new double speed Lake Erie wood screw. Once the bench is finished I can figure out what to do with it.

ken

6 comments:

  1. Hi Ken

    I think that makes perfectly sense. Kind of the same thing with food.
    Fancy high end food can be nice to try once in a while, but sometimes you secretly dream that instead it was just a regular pork chop or a home made burger etc.

    As to the name of the new bench, if it will be lightweight and fast, maybe it could be called the Moravian speedbench?

    Brgds and happy building
    Jonas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jonas,

      Back in the day I flew a "Hair Band" on tour for a couple of years. They were called REO Speedwagon. It's hard to forget just how "canned" and bad their concerts were. Memories...Moravian Speedbench is a perfect name.

      ken

      Delete
  2. Ken the Moravian Bench maker, it has a nice ring to it :-)

    Bob, who would not know anything about doing something as a justification to be doing something else (said, he choking in his coffee)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob,

      I'm sure that is the case. Me either, other than....

      I think I'll go the the woodstore and buy the wood before MsBubba returns from Oregon. Safer that way.

      ken

      Delete
  3. You could give it to me. I'd think about you every time I used it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Andy,

    Good try :-).

    I'll start rough dementiong the base on a new bench tomorrow, the wood followed me home today.

    ken

    ReplyDelete