Monday, September 07, 2020

Steve Voigt Planes

 If you do very much stock prep by hand you owe yourself a couple or three of Steve's planes. I'm taking some pretty rough Alder down for panel glue up. While working on it I had to stop and take a photo of Steve's Try Plane in action. The cutter is easy to set, stays set and the plane just glides over the stock so much so I tend to forget to wax the sole. Did I mention it is also really light.


Anyway, I'm making a tall Kitchen Trash can out of the Alder. I have two more slats to prep before gluing up the panels. It is kinda slow going because at 1000 this morning it is already 94F and forecast to hit 102F in a couple of hours. That's the kinda good news/bad news. The good is it is maybe only going into the low 100's today instead of over 110F. The bad is it is 102F and even an old desert rat like myself has to limit time exposed to those temps.

As an aside: Once the ambient air temperature goes over approximately 94F body heat is no longer transferred out of the body but the external heat is instead transferred into the body. The Bedouins know what they are doing with the way they dress to keep the hot air from touching their skin. If it keeps getting hotter here in the Desert Southwest I may have to buy some robes.  

The last two slats may be finished on the machines just to get 'em done.

ken

7 comments:

  1. Ah yes a well adjusted wooden planes is a joy to use. Caution, too much fun and you end up with thin boards :-)

    Here we seems to have broken out of our heat wave, now coolish temp setting in, soon sweaters will comes out. Rudy already dress to go out :-)

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob,

      That they are, custom made like one of Steve's are getting up there in price. I'm glad I was an early customer. For someone that wants to try a wood stock plane ECE planes work well and are still inexpensive. I just checked Highland and a ECE Jointer is $180 USD and either the Jack or Smooth are $100 USD. I have all three along with the Scrub and they work well and are a bargain.

      ken

      Delete
    2. Bob,

      Still a ways to go here, I expect it will still be hot when I bring MsBubba home at the end of Oct. Next year we are booked to Camp Host for Aug, Sept, and Oct in Oregon so we will dodge most of the hot WX.

      But we will miss most of the drink in the pool time as well. Oh well, you can't win 'em all.

      ken

      Delete
  2. That's a sweet-looking plane, right down to the strike button!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Matt,

      It has been a very good plane right out of the box. Not only that but Steve Voigt is a stand up guy.

      ken

      Delete
  3. Steve D6:01 PM

    When I read "1000 this morning" I thought that was the temperature.

    Nice plane but where's the frog adjustment?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve,

      By the afternoon it felt that way, this has been a miserable Summer. Funny, I've been looking for it as well.

      ken

      Delete