Friday, August 23, 2019

Vise Mounted

There is still work to be done on the slab. The top finish still has a way to go and the ends need trimming to final length but my back and arms needed a break so I mounted the vise.

Oh boy is it sweet. It is slicker than snot. Where has it been all my life. I want it to have my children. Maybe a little overboard but damn it works a treat. A spin in either direction and it runs until it runs out of energy or into to something. Once it clamps on a piece of wood (and this is without leather or the cruber on either face) it holds. I planned the end grain of a board that was sticking up 150-200mm and it didn't move. See photo:



I'll see if I can make a video that will post.

The pin for the backer board crisscross needs trimming, I didn't want it to be too short. I'll do that job the next time the bench comes apart along with cleaning up the base units and rounding the long stretcher tenon ends.

Tool tray next, while the fat lady isn't singing, this sucker is a workbench.

The vise is so sweet I expect my main bench is in for a new vise. Probably soon. The BenchCrafted Classic vise with crisscross has a couple of things going for it. First of course is that it works really well, second it is slightly cheaper than the Lake Erie 2X wood screw kit, and third it is an easier build than the wood screw with a parallel guide.

ken

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful! Can't wait to see the rest. Don't let the heat get you het up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stan,

    Thanks, it is coming together nicely. It will make someone a good bench.

    It cooled a little yesterday, I think the high was a little under 38C, and working on the back patio is cooler than my shop so it hasn't been too bad,

    ken

    ReplyDelete