Thursday, November 09, 2017

Marking Knifes

Ralph over at The Accentual Woodworker has inspired another post, seems he does that often. My guess is because he posts so much it is hard not to find something of interest in his blog.

Today he mentioned marking knifes. That made me think about the knifes I have vs. the knife I use. Below is a photo of some of 'em.


There are spear point, single point, single bevel, double bevel, Japanese, and Western knifes in the pile. Most at one time or another were my go to marking knife. Same old story, you need to kiss a lot of frogs to find the prince. Today the one I use is the cheapest of the bunch, a Stanley #10-049 with a 11-041 replacement blade.

I first noticed the Stanley knife in one of Paul Sellers videos and thought I'd give it a go. Mostly because of my marking knifes all were OK but also all had a "yes but" factor.  With the Stanley knife it was bonding at first mark, I've found no down sides to the knife. Blades can be sharpened and they hold an edge well but the blades are so cheap I will usually just replace (IIRC <$4.00 USD each). Blades are quick and easy to replace and the blade lock works easy and well. Some folks might balk at the double bevel, to each their own, but folks it is wood you are marking. Need I say more?

You can't see it in the photo but for this post I made marks with each of the knifes on the piece of Pine under the knifes. Along side each I also marked with the Stanley. In every case the Stanley mark was cleaner and I could see no difference in placement of the mark. The double bevel at least for me is a non-issue. Quality of the mark is and the Stanley was clearly better.

Another factor, the Stanley knife is so cheap I buy 'em by the bunch and have 'em all over the shop. I seldom need to hunt for a marking knife because if I look down there is usually one there.

As always with anything wood, YMMV.

ken

5 comments:

  1. I've only used three marking knives. The first was a single bevel like the one in the middle of your pack with wide, angled blade. The second, that I used for a few years, was a small knife with wooden handle and double bevel blade. But I've been going with the Stanley 10-049 for a few years now and I like it a lot. Only have one of them, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have 4 or five dedicated marking knifes but after trying the Stanley recommended by Paul Sellers it has been my go to apron knife I use it for everything. Sharpen the blade on the belt sander and when it is of no further use then replace it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Matt,

    I know your shop is tiny but surely you can find room for a couple more knifes :-).

    ken

    ReplyDelete
  5. Matt,

    Pretty much my experience with the Stanley knife, it has been my go to for awhile now. Every once in awhile I'll try one of the other knifes and bottom line they do not make as fine a mark. The other thing I like about it after making a light mark with either it or a marking gauge I can freehand to deepen the line with out worry. It would be hard to find one that works better.

    ken

    ReplyDelete