Saturday, September 17, 2016

Tools are Good

Life would be diminished without access to tools. Of all the things in my life, job, home, I hate to admit even personal relationships would be lessened with out tools. Tools are so much a part of who I am and my life I can not conceive of life with out a shop, a studio, or some other area where with tools I can fix and/or create.

 All of that leads to: The last couple of months have been very difficult because I have been unable to work in the shop, to use my tools. Today that changed, not greatly but for the first time in months I made "something". something very simple but at least "something".

As I have posted, a used motorhome followed me home a week or two ago. It is an entry level Diesel Pusher with most of the bells but being entry level some of the cabinet work is less than great. One of the less than great things are the shelves. With tools an easy fix. A piece of 12mm Baltic Birch Ply, a 4/4 Red Oak cutoff and an hour or so of farting around in the shop and I have replacement shelves as good as any from a top line Motorhome. Tools are good.

BTW, one of my favorite quotes is from Kurt Vonnegut: "I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different."  Tools allow me to fart around.

8 comments:

  1. Welcome back to the shop. I'm expecting you to outfit that motorhome with a portable shop for your travels.

    After what Vonnegut went through in Dresden, it's no wonder that he felt that way.

    Andy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome back to the shop. I'm expecting you to outfit that motorhome with a portable shop for your travels.

    After what Vonnegut went through in Dresden, it's no wonder that he felt that way.

    Andy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I gleaned a bit of knowledge from you regarding o-1 and a-2 plane blades. I was just at WIA and bought a 0-1 blade from Ron Hock for my LN #4. I worked the chip breaker adjustment slot a bit and the Hock blade fit nice and snug. I tried it out on some Cherry and QSWO and it works smoother than the a-2 with little scraping needed to call it ready for finish. The LN blade fits my #5 Bailey and will be great for when I flatten rough sawn lumber before the jointer it seems it is always dirty and the a-2 should hold up well.
    Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I gleaned a bit of knowledge from you regarding o-1 and a-2 plane blades. I was just at WIA and bought a 0-1 blade from Ron Hock for my LN #4. I worked the chip breaker adjustment slot a bit and the Hock blade fit nice and snug. I tried it out on some Cherry and QSWO and it works smoother than the a-2 with little scraping needed to call it ready for finish. The LN blade fits my #5 Bailey and will be great for when I flatten rough sawn lumber before the jointer it seems it is always dirty and the a-2 should hold up well.
    Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Matt,

    I expect the LN A-2 iron will work very well as a rough out iron in the #5 Bailey, not quite a scrub but a good Jack.

    ken

    ReplyDelete
  6. Andy,

    I've made the old tow truck the TOAD for the pusher. I'll put a cap on the bed so I can slide a small bench and tool box in and have them protected. I haven't built a bench in a couple of years so it is time to make one anyway. I'm thinking the bench will be a straight English style, all subject to change of course.

    ken

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very true, tools, both the making of and their uses are what differeientiate us from every other species on earth. Without tools we are nothing, with them, we are empowered.

    Bob, feeling very empowered :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bob,

    I've spent most of the morning "empowered" :-). Or maybe whipped, it is tough to handle a 5'X5' 19mm baltic birch ply with just one arm. Needed to get it out of the way so I can look through to wood pile for more empowerment. Got it split and stored, now I need a nap. BTW, also sharpened the LN #3 and #4's irons so after the nap I may do something that needs a plane.

    ken

    ReplyDelete