Monday, November 26, 2018

Some Things Are Too Simple

Here I am 3/4 of a Century old and I'm still getting "damn that's simple, why didn't I think of it" moments. One yesterday from C.S. at the LAP blog was just in time. I have four stretchers that need trimming flush. I have a LV flush cut saw that works but is slow and short and these four stretchers are large. It wouldn't be like trimming a few dowels flush.

C.S, to the rescue, he faced a similar problem and solved it by taking a diamond stone to the backside of a Japanese saw, making the impulse hardened saw a flush cut saw. With nothing to lose I did the same to a junk HD pull saw.

Head slap, why didn't I think of it?



Works great, fast and a clean cut. Whatever I have a new tool in my toolbox.

ken

5 comments:

  1. That is a good idea. Faced with the same issue, I laid the saw on a playing card, which gets sacrificed, and then pared flush with a chisel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andy,

    I had planned on doing the same before reading about stoning off the set on one side of a cheap pull saw.

    ken

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:35 AM

    Would it have been possible to remove the set first by hammering?
    See 5fth picture here:
    https://paulsellers.com/2017/11/saved-saw-perfect-teeth/
    If the teeth are not hardened down to their base they should not break.
    Sylvain

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sylvain,

    Yes it would but all it took to remove the set on one side was about 5 passes of the diamond stone. Quick and dirty and off to work I went.

    ken

    ReplyDelete
  5. Steve D5:18 PM

    Hammers are a different story. Those cost $180 to be good.

    On the ryoba saws the back side of the saw can leave marks. Woodcraft has a sale occasionally on a Japanese crosscut that is pretty fast and is smooth on the trailing edge. I think the type was Kataba and around $20.

    ReplyDelete