Wednesday, December 09, 2020

Still More Shavehorse

 Shavehorse platform:


Gluing up the rails:


Rails glued up with front leg and platform in place:

 

The seat is off my old horse and will need remaking. Next up are the rear legs and "dead head" with swing arm. After finishing those the fat lady can sing her song.

Shavehorses are kinda like work benches, make one and work on it until something about the horse drives you to barking at the moon mad, then make another fixing the problems. This is my second rodeo and I expect at least one or two more before I have a horse that is an easy build and works the way I like. 

 ken



4 comments:

  1. Ill be following with interest. Long wanted a proper shave horse.
    Never settled on a design yet. I should just pull my big boy pants up and make one, anyone...

    Bob, planing next year projects

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob,

      Like I posted, with workbenches and shavehorses the perfect is the enemy of the good. I always figure a minimum of two or three builds to get one that works for me. BTW, the major build problem for most shavehorses are the back legs. They tend to be a kluge and a weak spot. I'm doing a wedged M&T for this build, I think it might be better than the normal way plus will make it easy to break down.

      ken

      Delete
  2. I need first to build a workbench that will be a fraction as nice as yours and I will put the Shave horse just after. I still the big slab for the workbench top that I started to plane but always find something to do before getting back to this. I wish I was retired 😁

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lionel,

    LOL, but thanks. I've seen your work and I expect when you build your new bench it will be the same.

    We will see, a lot of how retirement shop time goes will depend on my staying out of MsBubba's line of sight :-). She is a sweetheart but thinks everyone should work as hard as she does and that's a difficult go. I'm lucky to have her.

    ken

    ReplyDelete