Monday, November 02, 2015

Shop Tour

The boy child wanted some photos of the shop, never one to let work go to waste I figured it would be a good time to post a few to the blog.

The first is looking into the shop from outside the open door:

A slight left turn for the West wall:


Into the shop to the sharpening station on the East wall:


From the sharpening station turning to the left and along the north wall behind the main work bench:


A slight turn to the left and the main bench with the off bench along the West wall:


Moving to the right end of the main bench, the North wall and the tool room:


The tool room AKA Fibber McGee's closet. Along with everything I do not know what to do with are my grinders, saw sharpening station, and mini-lathe: 


The off bench. I keep the shooting board and the Moxon vise along with the glue pot on the off bench:


The main bench from the off bench with the east wall in the background:


Last one. The main bench looking out the shop with the wood pile on the East wall. The wood on the bench is the Sapele slab for MsBubba's sofa table:


Click 'em to big 'em.

As I have posted before, Ten lbs of stuff in a five lb bag. A couple of things I would like to do: Change the overhead door to a pair of carriage doors and extend the front of the shop eight feet. Either or both would make a huge difference is useable space.

ken








17 comments:

  1. You have a lot crammed into a small space. That looks like a slightly oversized one car garage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty wide door, I'll say a two car garage, but yeah, it is crammed

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your blog and posts. I followed today's post from unplugged and liked your bench so much I read most of May to August 2014 to follow the build. I really enjoy your writing and projects. Best wishes from Denver< Daniel.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ralph,

    It is a two car garage but not large. And yes there is a lot of stuff in a small space.

    ken

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bob,

    It is at the stage if something new comes in and it is bigger than a bread box something has to go out. I tend to save a little money that way.

    ken

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bob,

    It is at the stage if something new comes in and it is bigger than a bread box something has to go out. I tend to save a little money that way.

    ken

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ralph,

    It is a two car garage but not large. And yes there is a lot of stuff in a small space.

    ken

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ken,

    Thanks for the tour. What's your lighting situation? The first thing I did was put in a bunch of light on the recommendation from a friend and it has made all the difference in the world.

    Best,
    C

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice tour. I would be glad just to have half of the space.

    Cheers,
    Stefan

    ReplyDelete
  10. Chris,

    Not always the best. A couple of windows would help but the only wall to use is west facing. I work with the door open most of the time and as you could see there are several desk lights I use for directed light. The light over the main bench is one of the new thin tube fluorescent fixtures and it puts out pretty good light. I'm in the process of changing all the old fixtures out to the thin tube ones.

    ken

    ReplyDelete
  11. Stefan,

    What was the verse, I was sad because I had no shoes until I met a man with no legs or something like that. As I show whatever your space (or at least my space) stuff will expand to fill it. If I had less it would still be too full but the machines would have to go and so on.

    ken

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Clearly there is a lot of debate on this topic and I agree that it is all relative. However, I am in the process of kitting out a new workshop. How much space do you think I need to accommodate the 'basic' equipment? When I say basic I mean, workbench, sharpening area a few machines - ideally table, band saw and jointer.

    I have a space of 3m by 6m but have a feeling that this is going to fill up very quickly...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Simon,

    Your space is about half what I have. In the space you have, depending on the type of work you hope to do, I would suggest deciding if you wish to work mostly with hand tools or machines. If hand tools, I would buy a good 18" or greater bandsaw, and a 15" or greater planer. The table saw can easily be replaced by a Festool track saw and the jointer is much less useful than a planer. It is very easy to prepare a board for the planer with hand tools and you will find with a 6" or 8" jointer you are doing that anyway most of the time. While I have a jointer, it sees very little use.

    Save your space and money. As always with every thing wood.....YMMV.

    ken

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you very much Ken, this is very useful.
    Simon

    ReplyDelete