Friday, December 15, 2017

More Bench Planes

Moving on to the #4 sized bench planes.


Like the photo of the #5 planes the daily users are on the left, the shelf sitters are on the right. There are more factors than weight differences between the users vs. the others in this group although weight is a factor.

The three users all have different makes of cutters, from left to right is a Hock O-1, a Japanese laminated HC, and a PM-v11. Of the three, the one I'm most attached to is the Record #4 in the middle. The Record was one of the first planes I bought from Garrett-Wade back in the late 70's. Fine Woodworking had been out for a couple of years, I can't remember where I found my first copy but it changed my life.

At that time there were no stores in Houston with quality wood working tools and only one small hardwood seller. All my early tools were ordered from the Garrett-Wade catalog, most I still have and some will star in later posts.

Of the ones I do not use often, two because of weight, the other two because of the Norris adjuster and complexity. For some reason Norris adjusters and I do not work together well. I've really tried to love both of the LV smoothers as they are very nice and well made planes but for whatever reason (Norris adjuster) the chemistry isn't there, they always seem to be doing the Cotton-eyed Joe when I just want to do the Texas Two Step. Which is a shame because they are really nice planes, maybe I'll make another run around around the dance floor with 'em soon.

6 comments:

  1. Nice Ralphism with the dance comments. What are your thoughts on the WoodRiver? I have one and it gets used about half the time with my Stanley T11 #4 getting equal use. I also have a Millers Falls #4 that tuned up really well. It lives in my travel toolbox.
    Bob B.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob,

      Good to hear from you. The Wood River planes are good, well made planes, functionally little different from LN's. They are heavier than I like, as is the LN, between the two I'd save my money and buy the Wood River. Or even better find a nice T9 to T13 Bailey.

      ken

      Delete
  2. I know what you mean about the Norris type adjusters, at first it sound like a good idea, but it is a bit like rubbing your stomach one way while rubbing your other hand over your head in the opposite direction. Doable but take some practices :-) I never quite got to like it much, but other than that I love my LV planes, yes, their tote shapes also...

    Bob, the odd duck

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob,

      I keep wishing LV would make a modern Bailey with their quality and modern cutters. It will not happen because marketing has sold thick irons and Bedrock frogs or in the case of LV Norris adjusters.

      ken, as always pissing into the wind.

      Delete
  3. By coincidence, I have been thinking about the LV bevel up vs. Bailey thing myself the last few days as I decide which to travel with. The more I learn about how to fine tune the Baileys depending on the situation, the more I like them. However, I now have four different blades for the LV, which makes it really versatile for travel. Can't tell you why, but I like Norris adjusters, particular now that I changed to the slow one they've introduced. It's very quick and easy to dial it in after sharpening.

    That said, when I'm home I usually reach for the Bailey except when shooting. I just find the bevel up plane so much easier to grasp when it's on its side.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andy,

      The slow adjuster is news to me, shows how much I keep up, I may have to try one. I like the LV planes, but the Norris adjusters kick my ass.

      I never have gotten into the bevel up planes but I can see how they would be very good for shooting. I've thought about getting one for just that operation, may yet.

      ken

      Delete