Thursday, April 20, 2017

Working on Toy Box Lid

I had a couple of hours in the shop today. Some of the time was spent playing with different stones and different types of cutters. Only a sick puppy would do such a thing for fun....What can I say.

The results are always the same, oil stones and a strop will sharpen simple high carbon steel as well as any other system. It might not be as shiny and may even be a little slower time on the stones but when you add in the time prepping water stones it is a no brainer. I will not mention the water stone mess. The only system that give oil stones a run are the Spyderco stones.

In between sharpening I worked on the peanut's toy box lid. Rough dimensioning the center panel and the stiles and rails along with plowing the grove to hold the center panel.



Progress will be slow this coming week, no days off until after the 1st.

ken

5 comments:

  1. Ever tried diamond paste - I currently use it on hardwood and mdf. I am coming from 3m microabrasives on a granite tile - certainly the 1/4 micron paste on an mdf strop was an improvement

    ReplyDelete
  2. Clyde,

    Yep, done that on MDF, steel plates and strops. It works but, there's that damn but, it is too fussy and maybe just personal preference not a good "feel". Plus I expect in the long run expensive. Like I've posted before I've round heels when it comes to sharpening but I always return to my true love kinda like a honkytonk hero.

    ken

    ReplyDelete
  3. What is your experiences with the Spyderco ceramic stones? I got one many moons ago (late 90s) to sharpen my chip carving knife (needs a true flat surface)
    It work fine except that it glazed preet fast with metallic swarfs, when used dry as advertized.... Taken the habit of using a drop of dish soap liquid on it and scrubbing with a green scouring pad (anything but 3M disintegrated too fast if you ask me) It work, but I still got some permanent blackish discoloration on my stone

    Bob, who has also tried pretty well all methods, systems, regiments and etc

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bob,

    The reason I don't use the Spyderco's more may be because of the way they feel in hand. Dumb I know because they do a very good job of sharpening with most of the advantages of oil stones and are a little faster than a hard black or translucent oil stone and give almost as good a polish as water stones. Ralph would like 'em.

    I use oil and that along with an occasional scrub with the scouring pad and a rub with a diamond stone keeps 'em cutting and free of swarf. Close to the same maintenance as the Arkansas stones.

    The brown stone (medium grit) cuts about like a medium India which is pretty damn good as a medium India is my favorite course stone.

    I'm just back from the shop, I don't think it is the feel as much as the sound with the feel. I expect I could learn to love the sound because they sure put a nice polish and have a good scratch pattern with no rogue scratches.

    ken

    ReplyDelete
  5. Funny you mentioned the sounds... I long used my senses to ÈfeelÈ my way around multiple tasks. Letting the sound giving me feedback on the operations. Nothing bring a smile on my face while woodworking with a sharp edge, love the woosh sound. I can tell when the edge is not optimum by the sound changes...Stop and strop go back to work

    Bob, listening to other sounds lately...

    ReplyDelete