Tuesday, April 18, 2017

New Shooting Board

The FedEx guy (not as good looking as the UPS girl) dropped off my new Evenfall Studios shooting board. While I haven't used it yet it looks to be first class. Rob was running a little behind on delivery because of illness in his family. Being the stand up guy that he is he upgraded my shooting board for no additional cost.

I haven't put it to use but here is a photo of the EvenFall next to my old shop made one:


Things change. I started this box to hold the charcoal grill for transport in the motorhome. And as usual I got a little carried away with the design and I've overbuild for intended use. As I looked at it I realized it was the perfect size to fit at the end of a twin bed and also close to the right height for a 3 to 5 year old boy to sit on.  Hummm....The grandpeanut will soon be 3 and he needs a toy box or at least gramps thinks he does. Anyway here it is with the lid, clean up, and paint left to go.



We are driving the motorhome to spend the weekend with the girl child, hubby, and the peanut in Balmorhea, TX the second week in May. I should have it ready to carry with us.

ken

10 comments:

  1. It's too nice to paint.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:03 PM

    Not meant to be disrespectful, as a woodworker, I would never buy a shooting board which is so easy to make. I have built three of various sizes out of ply or MDF.

    Richard

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got an Evenfall shooting boards for angles. It's built like a tank and I doubt you'll be disappointed with it. It has survived in my shop for at 6-7 years without any stupid wood tricks too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Andy,

    Thanks. I will leave the inside natural with just an oil finish. The outside, maybe but remember it is for a pre-schooler.

    ken

    ReplyDelete
  5. Richard,

    Not to worry. I've made many shooting and sticking boards and for 90 degree shooting I agree. Where a bought shooting board becomes a valid choose is setting for angle shooting which can be a PITA to get right. Evenfall has jigs to set the angles, I don't. Money is cheaper than time.

    ken

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ralph,

    Thanks, that was my reason also.

    ken

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ken,

    I still have the workbench my grandfather made for me 61 years ago. It is a prized possession. I can see your grandson hanging on to that chest for that long.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know of Evanfalls and Tyco Voght shooting boards, yes they are pricy, and yes being woodworker there are easy to built and etc, but..... wholly agreed that time is money. Besides, precision comes at a cost. Always did, always will.
    Enjoy

    Bob, who is expecting visitors this weekend and next week,time to get the house ship shape...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Andy,

    I've made several things for the peanut and I expect there will be many more. As I'm the end of the genetic pool on my side of the family, ain't no twigs on that branch, I hope some of the builds will be passed down and/or around.

    ken

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bob,

    When you get to my stage of life it is even more important, like a roll of bath tissue, the closer to the end the faster it goes. If there is one lesson I've learned over the years it's when to write a check or whip out the AmEx.

    Good luck on the house, if MsBubba wasn't so Scottish that would be another area of check writing.

    ken

    ReplyDelete