Tuesday, August 25, 2020

More Texas BBQ

 I could be wrong but I believe most folks think of BBQ'ing as smoking the meat. Truth is smoke is a by product of the open flame but indirect heat used to BBQ meat.

Here are a couple of photos of BBQ pits to illustrate what I'm talking about:


This is the best style for a working pit. Fire box at one end, chimney at the other and a metal top. Truth is there is no need for the lid on the firebox or even a box. I've seen pits at some of the best BBQ joints in Texas with no box at the fire end, just a opening with a pile of coals under it and a stick or two leaning over the coals with one end in the opening. Once you have your bed of coals it takes very little wood to keep the pit on temperature. BTW, the "draw" can be really strong.

The Salt Lick pit just outside Austin in Driftwood, Texas:

As you can see no traditional pit just open flame but indirect. Not my favorite pit but it works, the Salt Lick is one of the top rated BBQ joints in Texas.

With a Pipe pit with firebox like my current pit the BBQ'ing is done with the firebox lid open so the cooking area is heated with an open flame and not smoked. If you want to smoke it just takes closing the lid.

Some folks like "smoked BBQ", I much prefer a less "smokey" BBQ that comes from an open flame.

Any Texas Pit Master will tell you good BBQ needs no sauce, sauce is to cover up poorly cooked meat. Then at the same time they each have their own "secret" BBQ sauce. I'm guilty as charged, my excuse is the sauce is for the sausage. 

ken

8 comments:

  1. sausage is such an interesting meat. Everyone's is a little different and spices used completely change the complexion of the meal. No idea what you're getting until you take a bite. It's like Christmas that way. I'm with you on the smoke flavor. For some Q's its a crutch. I want to taste the meat. It's that simple.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Evil,

      My favorite sausage is from City Market in Luling, it needs the sauce but damn they are good. I usually pick up 100 links on my trips back from Houston. They will sometimes last till the next trip.

      ken

      Delete
  2. I've been to Salt Lick and thought it was great. It's a fantastic environment for eating BBQ, a large rustic outside area with plenty of tables. I confess to liking the sauce.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andy,

      Next time you are in the area try City Market in Luling. Not as nice a place but I think better BBQ and sauce.

      ken

      Delete
  3. We did my daughter's wedding 'reception' lunch at the Salt Lick. Agreed it was pretty good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Must add Texas BBQ trip to my bucket list
    Bob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob,

      I would enjoy being your guide. There is a lot of really great BBQ in Texas, there is also a lot bad. Add in a lot of folks that can't tell the difference. You can see where that is going :-).

      ken

      Delete
    2. One more thought: If you see a roll of aluminum foil in the joint turn around and go someplace else. It ain't BBQ that they are selling no matter what they call it nor how much sauce they slather on it.

      ken

      Delete