Monday, August 24, 2020

Brisket Today

 The pit:

Getting the pit to temperature. Perfect is 215F, but should never go over 220F and no lower than 210F. This pit is pretty good and once you get everything balanced out it is almost walk away. It is not as good as my old rectangular brick pit lined with firebrick and a metal lid but for a round pit it is not bad.

The Firebox:

 


If everything is working, the pit isn't a smoker but gets indirect heat from the firebox. The pit is on temperature and has been for 20 or so minutes. For another hour or so I'll check temperature every 5 to 10 minutes. If it continues to hold, then it is just a matter of adding a hunk of wood when needed and occasionally checking temperature for the next 6 to 8 hours until the brisket reaches 180F or so.

The Brisket:

 

The brisket with a salt, pepper, garlic, and red pepper rub. When finished it will be served dry with a simple tomato/mustard sauce on the side for the folks that want sauce.

More in 8 or so hours,

Just before taking it out of the pit, internal temp is 195F and ready to be pulled: 

Finished and the first samples.

It is unbelievable good. melt in your mouth tender with wonderful flavor. I hope I do not make myself sick eating it tonight. It is so good I could eat the whole damn brisket in one go.  

I did a rack of ribs as well. They are tasty, tender, and good but do not hold a candle to the brisket.

ken

8 comments:

  1. I live in Texas. Brisket is religion down here. Looks awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Evil,

      Yes I know. I'm a West Texas Farm Boy and BBQ is a religion. BTW, as I posted this was one of the best I've ever done but I say that about every one.

      Thanks,

      ken

      Delete
  2. Steve D1:15 PM

    just reread your post before dinner time. now I'm really hungry.

    doing a rotisserie chicken on the gas grill tonight but that just doesn't have the same appeal as a chunk of brisket.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve,

      Let's see chicken or brisket after 8 hour in the pit, damn hard to decide :-). Rotisserie chicken is good but...

      I wish I could send out a taste to everyone. BTW, I just had some cold out of the fridge and it is still good.

      ken

      Delete
    2. Steve D5:49 AM

      I was balking that it took almost 2 hours to do so more would be too much for a weeknight.

      Had jerk chicken in honor of this week's convention.

      Delete
  3. ohhhhh good thing I saw your post after supper :-) Sure looks good, and yes, I believe you know your way around a proper BBQ :-)

    Bob, whose BBQ experiences are mainly over a fire pit boiling my ration packs (Cdn MREs). Used to be cans and had cigarette inside... many years ago :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob,

      As a Texan it is breed into you, or at least to Texans of a certain age. From grandfather to father to son. All had their "secret" sauce and pit knowledge.

      Back in high school I spent a week at Camp Bullis outside San Antonio living on, IIRC, C-Rations (MRE). No think you once was enough.

      ken

      Delete
  4. Catching up on your posts while cooking... just wished to have that here !!!

    ReplyDelete