Monday, July 01, 2019

Back To Work

I'm missing Sam at my feet and barking for a treat but as life must go on and the best way for that is to get back in the shop.

I'm not much of one for drilling and paring mortises. Every year or so I forget what a disaster the last time I tried it was. Well it's been more than a year and it is still a disaster. I'll save the leg but you will not be seeing any photos of the inside of the long stretcher mortise on at least that leg. That's the bad news, the good is what the inside of the long stretcher mortise looks like makes no never mind, it just needs to be a loose fitting mortise with intact shoulders.

It's back to chopping the mortise, a photo of getting ready to chop.


A Narex firmer chisel with a Hornbean handle makes a pretty good wide mortise chisel, not as good as a pigsticker but it's hard to find a 25mm pigsticker 😊.

Once the rest of the mortises are chopped it will be time to glue up the base units

6 comments:

  1. Hard to find, harder to lift...

    I mean, my largest is a half-inch and that thing is so damn large I can't wrap my hand around it comfortably and I have somewhat large mitts.

    http://www.stochasticgeometry.ie/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/IMG_0980a.jpg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mark,
      Nice collection of pig stickers. These big mortises kick this OF's ass, more than one at a time and my arm is a noodle. Hell it is a noodle about half way through the first one. The good news there are only four total and two have been chopped.

      ken

      ken

      Delete
  2. I hear you loud and clear. Remember the good times with Sam.

    Happy Trump day, oops, i meant 4th of July :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bob,

    The good news, all the mortises are chopped, the bad, I brain farted last night and screwed up one of the long stretcher tenons. Wood store this AM for a new hunk of 12/4 Poplar.

    You can't imagine how embarrassing it is. If only Canada had a desert :-).

    ken

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have desert like areas, but it is of a cooler "white sand" :-)

    I am similarly stopped on my small table project, still need new stock for the two back legs. One I don't like the other i had a goof on the mortise.

    Temps are like Arizona style the last 2 days, but wait it is about to change...again

    Bob, sweating off buckets to water the deserts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob,

      "White Sand" LOL sounds cold to me :-).

      I spent more time trying to come up with a work around than it took to just redo the stretchers if you exclude the trip to the woodstore.

      For the most part, even though MsBubba would disagree, our Summer hasn't been too bad. So far temps in the mid 100's, I haven't seen over 110 yet. Above 110 is when I really shut things down.

      ken

      Delete