Sunday, May 02, 2021

Saguaro in Bloom

 Saguaro cactus only grow in the Sonoran Desert. Our house is on the edge of the Saguaro National Park, West, so there are lots of Saguaros cactus in our neighborhood. We only have one on our lot but in any direction you look out over the gully, it is covered with Saguaro's. This is the time of year when the desert cactus bloom and set fruit. It is also feast time for all the critters as well as the indigenous folks that lived in the desert. Early American Use of Saguaro cactus

Anyway, a lot of BS just so I can show a photo of our Saguaro cactus blooms on one of the arms, each arm will have a like ring:

The buds open at night to the early part of the day revealing the white flower with a yellow pollen ring on the inside. Once the flower opens it is feat time for the birds and bees. I forget to add the Bats which share the range of the Saguaro. 

The SIL wants me to make four box like things for him and he gave me the wood to use. There is no problem with making the box like objects but the wood is some of the softest Ceder I've ever tried to use.  You look at it hard and it tears out. I keep telling myself it is not furniture, just four small box like "things".

ken 


2 comments:

  1. Its saguaro time!. Another sign we are moving toward Spring :-)
    Soft crumbly wood requires very sharp tools.
    So, did you finally retired??

    Bob, surveying today's to do list

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob,

      As of 05-01-2021 my status is "part time". I'm still on the books but I doubt I will ever work another Sim. I did it this way just in case six months down the road I can't stand being home everyday. There is little chance I will take advantage.

      The last day I put the monkey suit on and sit in the black box was 03-31-2021.

      The job changed so much over the last couple of years because of Covit 19, the FAA, and FSI's suits it totally lost the joy of doing it. It is a real shame but maybe for the best because if it hadn't I might have worked another 10-15 years.

      That list never has an end ;-).

      ken

      Delete