Monday, February 18, 2019

BBQ

Today is one of the rare days the Sim is shut down so all the instructors in my program are off. I figured it is a good time to have food and drinks together, it doesn't happen often.

I have two briskets, a half gal. of Luling sauce, close to a cord of Oak and Pecan, and I'm making a bed of Mesquite coals as I type.


Once I have a coal bed I'll finish bringing the pit to temperature (210F-215F) with the Oak and throw the briskets on for about 8 hours. 

There are two pounds of beans cooking, my co-cook is bring the potato salad, slaw, and sourdough bread (although not authentic, it should be "Wonder" bread or soda crackers and served on butcher paper and there isn't a "Big Red" to be found in Tucson). Beer and sodas will be in a tub of ice. The only downside is today will be cool (50's F) and it may rain this afternoon. The cool can be taken care of with a fire in the firepit and the back garden has a large roof.

Photos of the brisket to follow,

ken

4 comments:

  1. Sound like a great plan. And with a bunch if flyboys around, should be a few tales flying around :-)
    Enjoy the food and the company ...

    Bob, who has a few such tales, best told over a beer

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bob,

    Come on down you would fit right in. I expect there will be a lie or two told and a few beers consumed. As always they begin: "There I waz with one burning, one turning, and only through my great skill are we alive today".

    BTW, did I ever tell you about.....

    ken

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the science in a BBQ. We Aussies love American BBQ and the way you do it versus just burning meat

    ReplyDelete
  4. Unknown,

    I call it Art. Edible Art :-).

    ken

    ReplyDelete