Thursday, December 01, 2016

New Small Box

The rust it shows. The box parts shown in the T-Day post are history due to a mistake almost too dumb to admit. But what the hey, I can blame it on the three months spent in recovery....That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

I'm sure none of you have marked and cut the pins on the the wrong side, like I said too dumb to admit.

The replacement box is almost finished (photos when done). This one is Cherry with a Ebonized White Oak slider top and base. Cherry is nice to work and beautiful when finished but, there's that damn but, at least for me it is hard to get perfect dovetails. I can almost never fit right off the saw, if I do they are either too loose or one or more will split. Even when I saw them tight and pare to fit, during the fitting process I tend to spilt at least one....This box was no different, I got a split, stop drilled it and used cyanoacrylate in the crack. I thought about making a new pin board and about painting to hide and rejected both. It is a utility box, MsBubba will not care if there is a crack, I'll bet she will never see it if I can keep my mouth shut, and it will have no effect on the strength of the box. That's also my story and I'm.....

Last Saturday we took the critters and the motorhome to Bisbee, AZ for the night. Bisbee is an old mining town 90 or so miles southeast of Tucson. On the way, about 20 miles west of Bisbee, you pass through Tombstone, AZ. Tombstone is more famous but Bisbee is a heck of a lot more fun.

The Bisbee RV park is on a hill overlooking the Copper Queen mine and a block or two from downtown Bisbee. Being a old mining town, set in a picturesque valley, Bisbee is a tourist magnet and full of "stuff to buy," ok cafes, and great bars, many with live music. Bottom line it was a great use of the motorhome and a wonderful way to spend a Saturday and Sunday.

Photos to follow....see you on down the road,

ken

4 comments:

  1. oh you are not alone in making dumb WW mistakes...:-)
    Great to hear you are putting the RV to good use, I was gonna say before you store it for the winter, but...what winter?? :-)

    Bob, about to go back and finish his boring till dovetails....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bisbee is an awesome little town. Every time I go I'm reminded of the town in Popeye (Robin Williams) with all the houses perched on the hills almost teetering.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Evil,

    It's isolated enough to not be over loved yet close enough to population centers to support a lively infrastructure. Pretty much the best of, if not all worlds at least most. As you said an awesome little town and having a RV park almost in the middle makes it even more so.

    ken

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bob,

    Not much need to store the RV in this part of the world, if fact this time of year it is the center of RV migration....do a google on Quartzsite, AZ. RVs look like a metal animal migration on the Serengeti. It is one of the wonders of the modern world that begs the answer to "Why".

    ken

    ReplyDelete