Saturday, February 28, 2015

Tru Oil

Finished the little box today along with taking care of MsOK and shop maintenance. The box was 'because", mostly because I hadn't cut a set of dove tails in awhile.

I picked up a small bottle of Tru Oil several weeks ago and because this box is a "What scraps can I find to saw some dovetails and maybe if there are enough put a lid on a box" box. I tried the Tru Oil, it's OK. I expect if I used several coats with rubbing out after each coat set it would look very nice. As this is a because box one coat is about it and with just one coat Tru Oil is nothing to get excited about.

I did some tool maintenance along with the shop maintenance, got careless with the 4 1/2's iron and took a slice off the end of my left thumb right after it was sharpened. Nice thing about sharp iron, you do not know you're cut until you see the blood flowing. I still had the glue pot hot. A little hot hide glue and a paper towel stopped the flow fairly quickly.

6 comments:

  1. Ken does Tru Oil darken with age?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ralph,

    It might but I expect that is about it. I put a coat of my old standard Tried and True with Bee's wax later and it looks much better....The box is still a second but I'd wanted to try the Tru Oil and I did. I will say I can see using Tru Oil for a first coat because it is very thin and goes on easily, then following with the Tried and True.

    ken

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:34 AM

    Tru Oil works very well with 2-3 coats. You can't diss a product because you did not use it the right way. No offense meant :)
    Bruce Mack

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bruce,

    Sorry if you took my post as dissing Tru Oil. I thought I made clear that this was a "seconds" box that I wasn't putting much effort into and that I expected if used for several coats with rub outs it would look much better. I just added the Tried and True as a quick fix. But I would not expect it to darken the wood much more than it has.

    Again sorry if you took the post as negative, it wasn't meant that way,

    ken

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous6:10 AM

    Ken, I'm sorry my tone was off.
    Bruce

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bruce,

    No problem, I'm with you, I hate to see folks knocking a product without a good test.

    Ken

    ReplyDelete