Sunday, July 27, 2014

Mortices Finished on Small Slab

T-Storms woke me at 0200, I tried to go back to sleep for about 30 or 40 minutes but no joy. Nothing left to do but go to the shop. Greeting me in the shop were two large slabs of Beech with the position for four mortices marked. I still hadn't decided on the method to drill/chop/route or whatever the mortices. As I weighed the options I finally picked drill out most of the waste and paring to the line, other than using a router my least favorite way of making a mortice. But with these mortices probably the safest and surest method.

I've finished the two on the small slab and it is dry fitted to the base, My 1 1/2" Forstner bit is toast. I'll have to make a wood store run before I do the two on the large slab. I was able to move the small slab and fit it to the base by myself, the large one may be a different story. Because of weight and size of the large slab I doubt I will get the slabs pinned today but I should have a functioning workbench within a couple or three days.  

Here is the small slab in position and dry fitted to the base:




Another view:


BTW, I've tried the stability test, push, bump, try to rack, and even with just the small slab dry fitted and no pins, she is solid. This may be a good bench. 

No comments:

Post a Comment