Saturday, February 24, 2018

Shaping Hard Maple Legs

I'm building a staked low stool with a Cherry seat/top and Hard Maple legs. It is my first go at the form so once finished it may never see the light of day.

The boring and reaming of the seat is pretty straight forward or so I think. Once the legs are set we'll see how straight forward it is. I've finished one leg and I'm using it as a pattern for the others. The third leg is about 80% shaped and I will finish shaping the fourth leg before going back to the lathe to do the tenons on the three without tenons.

BTW, shaping Hard Maple is work. Here are a couple of photos the jig/leg holder and shaping of the third leg in progress.

From the front:


From my viewpoint:


The ECE woodie is perfect for this job, light, not too long, easy on the hands and has good iron.

ken


2 comments:

  1. I am an opportunist. I'd be on that lathe in 20 seconds; screw the octagon legs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bruce,

      The thought crossed my mind :-).

      ken

      Delete