Sunday, February 04, 2018

Pattern Maker Chisel

I'm making stub tenons/tongues on the bottom shelf slats. It would be worth having a pattern makers chisel for no other use than making a groove for the saws crosscut. Throw in cleaning up the cheeks and shoulders and I don't know how I managed to work so long with out one.


These Sorby's are really sweet, light with a very thin flexible blade and a Boxwood carver handle. The blade is easy to sharpen and holds a good edge. I know I sound like an infomercial and it is easy to spend other people's money but do yourself a favor and get a couple or three from Sorby. I know LV carries them as well as Amazon.

BTW, the kitchen cart is coming along. I've two more slats to finish, cut the grooves for the "Z" hooks to hold the top, clean up the show faces and glue the sucker up.

ken

7 comments:

  1. I'd like to see construction details of the kitchen cart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andy,

      I'll try to remember to take photos during the glue up. The two sides and the back are double M/T joints. The lower stretcher on the front is a twin M/T joint and the upper stretcher is a dovetail. The two lower stretchers are single M/T joints and it is grooved to hold the slats's tongue. When I make the drawer box it will be a pretty standard box with through dovetails front and rear and grooved side to hold the drawer bottom. I'll put a false front on the drawer because I'll use full extension metal slides for the drawer. I'll glue up a cutting board top out of Maple and it will be attached with metal "Z" fixtures. I used to make mine out of scrap but the Z re so much easier and quicker.

      ken

      Delete
  2. Whoops. I didn't see the earlier post. Sorry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andy,

      No problem, I hope the above reply helps. I think I may get a couple of ATABOYS out of it. Maybe even good for a day or two before I do something dumb to mess it up :-).

      ken

      Delete
  3. One aw shit or misstep wipes out all atta boys in the storage locker. Sorry. BTW I would like to see your construction details too. I have trouble picturing what you write about sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ralph,

    Ain't that the truth. I'm well practiced stepping on my dick, in fact I do that better than any thing else.

    ken

    ReplyDelete
  5. Humm thinking, I better start using my Attaboys before I loose them all...Again...:-)

    ReplyDelete