Friday, February 02, 2018

Changes To West Wall

In my never ending quest to pack 10 lbs of stuff into a 5 lb bag I've made a couple of slight changes to the west wall (right side of main bench) of the shop.


I moved the chisel rack down and to the right to make room for a new plane shelf below the upper plane shelf. Not much of a change but for now it makes enough room to hold the new plow planes as well as a few of the overflow (read unused) metal planes that were stored elsewhere. I expect a couple more plows to show up and maybe a fillester or two. In that case the unused metals will go back to the previous hidey hole.

I've been making storage boxes for some of the lesser used chisels, I don't really like that solution because they become out of sight and never used. The problem is finding wall space for either cabinets or racks. 

I guess the real answer is to sell off a ton of tools and stop buying new ones. And yeah, I get a big picture of that. I did sell close to $600USD of chisels, saws, marking gauges, and planes a couple of weeks ago and it didn't make a dent in the storage problem and about the only thing that will stop the buying is retirement, maybe.

When you fall off the wagon the ground is hard.

ken



4 comments:

  1. "About the only thing that will stop the buying is retirement, maybe"
    Having now been retired 5 years this summer, I can definitively say, that NON that would not happens! Just saying :-)

    And yes, I need a few more changes on my tools-O-Walls (Tm), but as it is approching completion, I keep telling myself, if it does not fit on this wall, I more than likely do not need it!.. Well there are 3 more walls dontchunow...:-)

    Bob, with piles of tools accumulating every where downstairs, time for action...
    Need yet another plane till, dedicated solely to wooden moulders
    Some sort of dedicated storage for my braces bits and etc
    Put up a post for my post drill
    Dedicate a station for my mitre saws boxes
    Find a better spot for my sharpening station
    There, almost done... :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob,

      I'm afraid you are correct. If the past couple of weeks are any indication I'm one sick puppy.

      It was good to see your shop post, I know how you feel.

      ken

      Delete
  2. It's great that you enjoy collecting tools; there are a lot worse ways to spend money.

    I think a lot of us struggle with having enough workshop space. I have a three car garage but with a hand tool area, a machine area, a motorcycle, four bicycles and our camping gear, it's very tight. The partial solution for me was to build floor to ceiling shelves along one whole wall of the shop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andy,

      "Stuff" is kinda like air, it expands to fill the available space. It has taken time and lots of moving "stuff" around but as a working arrangement the shop is the best it has been. There is still too much in too small a space but everything works and the work flow is good. I also know if I doubled the space it would just fill up and the work flow would not be any better.

      ken

      Delete