Monday, August 07, 2017

Tormek SE 77

A quick note touting the new to me SE 77 square edge jig. I've had it on the shelf for several months and had not used it. Mostly because it has a couple of extra knobs and with my attention span lately reading a "how to" even as short as the 77's was more than my feeble brain could handle.

Turns out those extra knobs will allow you to adjust the grinding angle (bevel angle is still adjusted by projection) and can help with putting on a camber. Tormek has changed the design of the clamping mechanism slightly and claims the jig can be used with short, thick, and even non-ninety edged irons like Japanese ones. That I haven't tried but would be a good feature if it works.

The new 77 is heavier and slightly thicker than the old model 76 and seems easier to set the iron against the 90 stops (could be my imagination).

Might as well cut to the chase....If you have a 76 is it worth buying a 77? My answer after using it is an unqualified yes, but as my old friend Ken would tell me often "...(I) don't like my money very much".

The 77 jig fixes two drawbacks of the SE 76 jig. While I haven't used the 90 degree adjustment, the lack of it was one of my major heartburns with the old SE jig. Sometimes you just couldn't get the edge to grind 90 degrees. Mine always seemed to grind heaver on the right side of the blade. I'm sure technique had a lot to do with it but it will be nice to be able to "zero" it out.  BTW, I ground five chisels last night and none had a heavy side. Go figure. The additional cambering authority is by itself worth toting the note.

Add in a 10" CBN wheel with the SE 77 and the Tormek really makes a good grinder, good enough I'll keep mine and use it.

2 comments:

  1. It says posted at 2:37 am and I smiled ruefully because if I am on the computer at that time, I am not a happy camper.

    I am surprised that you use a Tormek because you like sharpening by hand so much, but it makes sense. I do the same thing except with an old Worksharp I have. It's just not that much fun removing a lot of steel.

    When I was growing up in upstate New York, most benches had a hand grinding wheel on them if the guy did any significant amount of carpentry or woodworking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andy,

    At my age sleep does not come easy....strange patterns that are always changing. After awhile you just learn to enjoy the morning.

    I've had a love/hate with the Tormek for years. It's too slow, to fiddlely, and a general PITA to use but that said it is much better than any other grinder.

    I have a tendency over time to increase the bevel angle. The easiest way to get back to a shallower angle is to grind, which I hate but the Tormek with a cBN wheel is the least painful way I've found.

    That's my story anyway :-),

    ken

    ReplyDelete