Sunday, August 13, 2017

More Portable Bench

It is getting close both to time to leave for Oregon and finishing the bench in time to take it with us. If the vise screw shows up next week finishing should not be a problem. All that is left is to install the vise, a day to a day and half max.....said the fool.

The tool tray is installed, the hunk of wood on the front is the back support for the vise, it needs the parallel guide mortise chopped, the screw hole drilled and the nut installed.  The rest will be stuff done to the chop.

When we return I expect this bench will be MsBubba's and I will build another for the Motorhome. Nothing wrong with the bench it is solid but because of use of construction grade DF and rushing to finish it is as ugly as granny panties.

Of course I could get distracted by some other project....squirrels!



ken

6 comments:

  1. Steve D6:48 PM

    I would strongly prefer getting up close and personal with your bench over granny panties.

    A roman workbench would be another story...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steve,

    That brought a smile :-). Of course at my age either is about all I have to look forward to.

    ken

    ReplyDelete
  3. A minority opinion: the best thing that could happen would be for the screw not to arrive. My year without a vise (definitely not vice) was enormously instructive and I am a much better woodworker as a result.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous1:20 PM

    - I am sure your "rushed DF" workbench is better made than my first workbench (Paul Sellers type) I am presently completing. As i am 65, I don't know if I ever will make another one (maybe for the gran-kids; they would be better looking but not necessarily more useful). Until now I have been using a B&D Workmake I bought about 30years (which seriously limits what one can/dare to undertake).
    - Do we have to understand it will be a potter/ceramist bench or is Ms Bubba doing some woodworking?
    Sylvain

    ReplyDelete
  5. Andy,

    In many ways you are correct but if I were going vise-less I would want an apron for holding pieces vertical for sawing or carry along the Moxon. I guess almost 80-90% of my work holding is loose with battens and stops or holdfasts. All that said it is nice to have a face vise.

    BTW, almost 1700 here and no joy from the UPS girl.

    ken

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sylvain,

    You hit the nail, a work bench doesn't need to be pretty, just solid. BTW, don't give up too soon I'm closer to 75 than I am to 74 and this is my, IIRC and at my age that is a big assumption, 4th work bench build after turning 65.

    You are correct it may turn into a potter/ceramist bench, MsBubba with a sharp chisel in hand is a frighting thought. Almost as scary as turning her loose with a computer ;-).

    ken

    ReplyDelete