Monday, August 14, 2017

No Joy On The Screw But The Firmer Chisels Arrived

First impression of the Narex firmer chisels is good, the chisels have nice balance, the backs, of at least the 26mm, are very slightly concave. Less than 3 minutes on the 400 Atomic and it was flat. The bevel and back honed up quickly on the med India and Hard Black Ark developing a nice burr quickly and got a beautiful 'polish' on one of the hard JNAT's.

They may be keepers,

ken

P.S. Ralph you shouldn't have but It looks like a keeper and thanks. I love tools, it is a sickness but there is nothing as satisfying as holding and using a old tool. The feel of the wood and the fit, how it can be perfect with nothing extra but everything needed to do it's job. The 'old ones' had much knowledge, it is a shame so much has been lost.

4 comments:

  1. It is a shame as machines rose all the handwork ways disappeared. I wasn't using those stones Ken and I like it that someone else is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ralph,

    I'm not an old fart yelling into the wind and shaking my fist about the world going to hell in a hand basket, far from it, some of the things we have now are amazing and some of the work done is beautiful but.....As always there is that damn but. What we have lost is the knowledge of working with hand tools. Simple things like the use of the chip breaker and maybe even more important the correct function and shape of the chip breaker. The list could go on and on.

    More important is we do not know what we do not know. I've described many pilots as so bad they think they are good. I sometimes think that is where we are with hand tool wood working vs. what folks knew just a hundred years ago.

    Off my soap box and hopefully the pain meds will kick in soon, sorry for the rant.

    ken

    ReplyDelete
  3. Steve D5:34 PM

    Hi Ken,

    There is a huge collection of woodworking knowledge available to those who seek it. There are other crafts beside woodworking that are neglected as well, since they don't have pixels drawing attention to them.

    That being said, I give props to all those who have gravitated toward woodworking in particular. Any handcraft is a link to history, an entry to broader study of history and craft. I always enjoy learning about other crafts and artistic expression, even if my strongest craft is woodworking.

    As far as no knowing what we don't know, there are some true scholars in the field. I am thinking of people like Al Breed, Patrick Edwards, Phil Lowe, Freddy Roman and many others who have immersed themselves in their respective specialties. It's hard to be exposed to what they know and share, but I think these people will be the ones who pass the flame to future generations.

    Soap boxes are great. Thanks for sharing yours.

    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  4. Steve,

    We are lucky that the books and articles are for the most part available. Even with all the resources I still suffer from "Flat Head" syndrome often. A hundred years ago I would have learned at my Daddies knee and would do it the correct way with out thinking.

    Don't get me wrong, I would not want to go back to that world. Progress is good but sometimes we lose knowledge along the way.

    ken

    ReplyDelete