Thursday, September 26, 2019

Workbench

Richard Maguire over at The English Woodworker is selling his main workbench. While a completely different design vs. the Moravian bench he made a couple of statements that struck a chord.

The first was about the design: "I first designed this workbench to be a nice back to basics thing.

It was when everyone first started wanting bling on every corner of their benches. I wanted to try and make a point that the best benches had less, but what they did have was well thought out and worked."

The second was about the dimensions of the bench: "The workbench is 7 ft long, 2 ft wide and 34 inch tall. (2.1m x 600mm x 860mm) The top is 3 inch (76mm) thick..." Which are the basic dimensions I've settled into for my benches.

Two different designs that converge to make the same basic tool. BTW, his bench breaks down as well.

If I lived in the UK I'd be whipping out my AmEx.

ken

4 comments:

  1. Steve D5:04 PM

    You've started a trend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steve,

    LOL. I wish. It was just nice to see someone I respect clearly state something I believe as well. I'm not sure when it started, maybe with social media (social media is always a good boogeyman), but most new benches you see on forums seem to be built for the "hoot" factor instead of making things. My Momma taught me well if you can't say something nice, don't say anything so I usually do not ask why did they need or use 6" X 8" Walnut for the legs or a 6" or 7" thick slab of Purpleheart or some other wood dark enough to capture all light. Or my favorite, a different type vise on every corner. Ok rant's over and back on my meds, sorry about that.

    ken

    ReplyDelete
  3. Steve D8:42 AM

    I was speaking of the bench sale trend.

    I concur with the rant. A lot of unjustified idol worship.

    When I see a blog post quoting what so and so says about benches, toolboxes, or chipbreakers I just move on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Steve,

    Smart move, on that is :-).

    I'm going to try and clean my shop up to get more room. I'm close to pulling the trigger on the big Rubo/English bench, the table saw, and the 8" jointer along with about half the chisels, saws, and planes.

    ken

    ReplyDelete