Saturday, September 28, 2019

Installing BenchCrafted Classic Screw and CrissCross

As I posted earlier the new BenchCrafted screw and crisscross was waiting on me when I came home last night. To install it on the shop Moravian bench will require making a new backer board and chop. I found a 12/4 hunk of what looks like Red Oak that is long enough and wide enough to make both the chop and backerboard buried deep in the wood pile. Otherwise I would have had to do a couple of glue ups or made a wood store run. Of course once I replace all the wood I had to move to get to the Red Oak I may wish I had just made a wood run.😅

Both pieces are cut out with a true edge and face. The bottom tenon on the backer board is next. Here is a photo of splitting out the tenon.


I'll probably bore you'll with a tick tock of retrofitting a Benchcrafted screw and crisscross on an existing Moravian bench. That is if I can remember to take photos as the job progresses.

ken

Update: It ain't gonna happen. The backerboard is about 6mm too short. The only way to make it work is major mods and it is not worth it. The wood screw works fine, just not a fast as the BenchCrafted with a crisscross. Oh well I now have a vise screw looking for a bench. I guess there is only one answer, build another bench.

2 comments:

  1. Only one answer, build another bench.
    What a clever idea :-)
    Necessity, the mother of invention ...

    Bob, who may have used something like that in the past to justify something or another :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bob,

    Yep, can't let a perfectly good vise just set under one of the benches. Off to the woodstore for timber :-).

    We are having kinda Fall/Winter WX here, must say it makes working in the shop very pleasant.

    Give Rudy a treat, Mags said it was OK.

    ken

    ReplyDelete