Thursday, July 25, 2019

Steve Voigt's Wood Stock Planes

For the last couple of days in between work, sleeping, and breaks for water and cooling off I've been cleaning up the new bench base units. It can be heavy going in the heat of July in Tucson.

One of the joys has been using Steve Voigt's Jack Plane for most of the heavy lifting.


Here it is after doing the bevel on the top rail.

Most of my stock is prepped with machines so I have little need for anything longer than a Jack so my basic set of planes are a Jack and a smoother. I have and use both pre-War Stanley planes with thin irons and woodstock planes by Steve and PhillyPlanes. My fav Jack is the one made by Steve.

BTW, there are modern metal planes in my tool cabinet by Woodriver, LN and LV that gather a lot of dust.

2 comments:

  1. Earlier this year I made myself a wooden jack plane and a wooden try plane and I've totally fallen in love with them. There's just something about how well they work that makes me almost giggle when I use them. As a result some of my metal planes are gathering dust, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Matt,

    For me metal and wood stock planes each have a place. I don't really need a Try but I expect it would join my wood stock Jack as the go to plane. For smoothing I will go back and forth between wood and metal.

    I do grab the Stanley #5 often for quick jobs like squaring an edge but if the job requires a lot of removal such as cleaning up after using a scrub the woodies come out to play.

    BTW, good on you for making your own. I'm too much a wood butcher to even try. Workbenches are more my style where "that's good enough" is good enough.

    ken

    ReplyDelete