Saturday, July 20, 2019

Sharpening Bench

Most of my shop time today will be spent sharpening whatever needs it and maybe a few that don't.

I do have some new Japanese chisels that need setting up but I'm not sure I'll have the energy or ambition for that much work. Anyway I haven't posted a photo of my sharpening set up in awhile and there is no time like the present to do so.


Here it is, a portable Moravian bench with the vise removed. The oil stones are on the left with strops in the center. The most used oil stone is a Medium India that I use for grinding bevels and to remove damage before going to the set up stones. The other oil stones are used mostly for narrow or shaped irons.

The right side has the water stones, in the tool tray are the man made water stones and my JNat finish stone. On the bench are the most used JNats to the left of the "pond". The pond has a stone holder and a diamond flattening stone. Some of the JNats will not fit in the stone holder, depending on the stone's thickness I use non slip mats either in the pond or to the right to hold'em.

The bench is a step or so off the left end of the main workbench and is pretty efficient. It doesn't take long to go from dull to sharp and because of that I will seldom put a dull iron to the side to sharpen later and I tend to sharpen before the cutter really needs it.

Next to the main workbench the sharpening station is the most important tool in the shop.

ken

11 comments:

  1. I find not having a sink in the shop to be a big PITA.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ralph,

      It is not too big a problem for me, but my kitchen is just around the corner and no stairs to climb. The other thing; the water the pond holds from cleaning the flattening plate and wetting the stones dries very quickly, usually before I've finished sharpening. Life in the desert is good :-).

      ken

      Delete
    2. Anonymous5:28 AM

      Ralph, if you push your dryer, washer and fridge to the left you might have enough room to squeeze a little sink there.
      Sylvain

      Delete
  2. Sweet! Did you make the pond? If so, what did you use? Stan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stan,

      Thanks, no it is a ready made by Shapton. I looked at making but the Shapton does everything I wanted.

      ken

      Delete
  3. You got me sold a while back on the sharpening bench, corner, whatever. Having a ready place to sharpen is a must...

    Bob, still using is provisional sharpening board

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob,

      The sharpening bench is the one horizontal surface in the shop that does not on occasion become a storage surface. To me that tells the tale.

      Are you'll suffering the from the big heat wave that covers most of the eastern States? I kavetch about ours but we are set up to handle the heat, most of you folks are not. I expect people will die from this one.

      ken

      Delete
  4. Oh yeah, same heat wave experienced by Ralph. We Canadians are used to 60 degrees C swing in temp, from minus 30 to plus 30, but sadly, yes some will probably die :-(

    Bob, enjoying the heat for a change

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob,

      Back in my motorcycle days I've started early morning in the White Mountains with temps in the mid to low 30's and by the time I was back in Tucson that afternoon it was well over 100F. Surprising enough one riding suit, with additions and takeaways, handled it all in comfort.

      ken

      Delete
  5. Steve D6:29 AM

    I would love to make a sharpening bench but my tools are too dull.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve,

      LOL, but too close to the truth for some.

      ken

      Delete