Friday, June 28, 2019

Japanese Chisels

I may have mentioned Stanley Covington before. If not, a little background: Stan has worked in Japan for a number of years and is a very knowledge woodworker with connections to traditional Japanese blacksmiths. With his knowledge and connections he is a good source for Japanese knives and chisels.

I just received a beautiful set of Sukezane oiirenomi at a very fair price.


Here they are in the chisel rack:


The UPS Goddess smiled on me today, not only did the UPS girl deliver the set of chisels but also The BenchCrafted Classic screw and crisscross. I have no excuse now, everything needed to finish the bench is in house.  

ken

4 comments:

  1. ooohhh ahhhh !!
    As if you needed more chisels :-) But don`t let ever stop you :-)

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob,

      Dumb, I know but sometimes you can't help yourself. BTW, they sure are pretty.

      ken

      Delete
  2. Nice chisels, Ken. Don't forget to set them up. If you need tips about sharpening them (the hollow-ground ura on Japanese chisels is a little different) please let me know.

    Stan covingtonandsons@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stan,

      That they are. I expect I'll finish the current workbench build before I do much more than pick 'em up and look at them. But once I start to set them up I'll be in touch.

      Thanks again for all your help,

      ken

      Delete