Sunday, November 10, 2019

Misc. Stuff

Will Myers is giving a talk about Moravian workbenches to the Triangle Woodworkers Association in Cary, NC on the 19th of this month. Wish I could be there.

The boss comes home Friday, it will be good to have her home. Sweet Maggie Dog and I have missed having the old gal around telling us what to do. Among other things 😇. The kitchen is ready for inspection, office and bath to go.

Had a bite on the bench the other day, my enthusiasm about Moravian benches may have put him off. I think he thought I was trying to sell him a bench 😲. And yes, I would like to sell this bench so I can start another but it wasn't a sell job. The Moravian design is that good and this bench is a really good example. Of course the next one will be better because I've got a couple of small changes to make.

My sinuses have been blocked for a couple of weeks with the attendant headaches and blowing bloody boogers.  MsBubba told me to get some colloidal Silver spray and spray it up my nose. I was a little hesitant because of blue skin from Silver poisoning but in this form that is not a problem, in fact I checked with my Doc a couple of days ago and she gave it a thumbs up.  Bottom line after the first spray the sinuses opened up and no more bloody boogers.

Retirement is hanging over me. I'm not sure how I will handle it, When not in school, I've worked full time since I was 16 and even in school I had a part time job. Going to work is part of who I am.

I have one year to figure it out. If there is a good side, I still like my job, I like passing on my knowledge to pilots without my experience. I feel I'm paying back an industry that was very good to me. It allowed a dumb old West Texas farm boy to see the world, fly 10's of million dollar airplanes, eat and drink in some of the best places in the world, and get paid a good living for doing it. It doesn't get much better. The only down side was I shed a couple of really good women who could not handle the life.

Just received a text from MsBubba. She has made it back to the UK from Morocco. 

ken

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous3:09 AM

    Have you seen this:
    https://woodandshop.com/portable-moravian-workbench-for-sale/#utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=portable-moravian-workbench-for-sale
    There is competition.
    Sylvain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the link Sylvain,

      I expect those will be very good benches. They save a dollar or two with the SYP base but not much. At that price it is a good deal, cost is close to $1500 USD, not a lot of margin for labor. The reason mine if offered for $1600 USD is a couple of cosmetic defects. Small and I expect most would never see them unless pointed out but I know they are there.

      The only reason for me to sell a bench is to make room to build another. If this one doesn't sell, I expect it will be moved to the back garden or broken down and stored so I have room to build another.

      ken

      Delete