Sunday, March 17, 2019

Vernacular Furniture

I posted something similar to this on SMC yesterday and it had a few interesting replies. BTW, "vernacular" is art speak for folk, untrained, or "outside of the Academy" work.

 I've been watching C.S.'s journey into making vernacular furniture with great interest for the last couple of years. I find the form interesting maybe because I've always been interested in folk, outsider, and vernacular art. Back in the day when I was spending time doing post baccalaureate studio art at the university much of my study was outsider art. I'm drawn to the form. It is the same with furniture.

For the past year or so I've been making stick furniture, both chairs and tables and while there have been a few useable pieces made there have been more failures than not, but even the failures can please my eye. Some of the failures even work in their own strange way. An example was a child's chair with one rear leg that went off in a different direction. At first I thought about making a new seat and redoing the seat mortises but the more I looked at the chair the more I liked the weird leg. Perfect whimsy for a young child and it has a life lesson built in: Even if you are imperfect you can be beautiful and useful.

A photo of the child's chair with a full sized chair before it was painted:


The child's chair is a prime example of a common failure if not using jigs. A small misalign can make a huge difference in rake and splay. Splitting of the seat/slab is also too easy and common. One hit pass the "that sounds about right" will usually result in a split. The other day I split a slab when driving a cross grain wedge into a leg tenon. It shouldn't have happened but it did. Sometimes the split can be repaired with a butterfly key.

I've been using  a 12* reamer and tenon cutter for making the seat/slab mortise and tenon joints. I now have a set of 6* reamers and tenon cutters. My hope, and I expect I'm correct, is the 6* M/T joint will be more forgiving and not as likely to split the slab.

ken

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:08 PM

    Hi,
    Can I ask where you got your 6* reamers and tenon cutters, please?

    Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anon,

    From Ella Bizzarri http://handtoolwoodworking.com/

    ken

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that leg looks great. In fact, it has great appeal because it is so different from mass manufactured furniture. The trick is to make it not too much and not too little. Immediately recognizable but not exaggerated.

    It reminds me of the illustrations in a children's story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Andy,

    Back in the day one of the things almost every instructor would say was to be open to the "happy accident". This is one of those times. With the first dry fit I walked away knowing I was going to make another seat but luckily I left it on the bench together instead of disassembled.

    Later as I looked at the seat and legs it did remind me of chairs in story books, it felt whimsical and made me smile.

    I'm not sure if Levi's mother will feel the same but I'll bet Levi will.

    ken

    ReplyDelete