Tuesday, April 02, 2019

New Leg Jig

First some housekeeping. Not much has happened in Casa Chaos for a couple of weeks. Southern Arizona is having one hell of an allergy season,  I expect because of the wet Winter. Whatever, it has kicked my ass and not much has been done other than trying to sleep without success and doing a great job of feeling sorry for myself.

I like shaped legs on my stick furniture. It is easy to get an octagon leg with a hand plane by holding the leg blank in a jig or using a similar jig to run the blank through the planer. While easy to do, both are time consuming.  I read somewhere that Brian Boggs used a jig and bandsaw to shape his chair legs. I've spent way too much time trying to find a photo of his jig in action with no joy. After some thought, I decided it might be quicker to just re-invent the wheel.

Come on Bubba cut to the chase. After a couple of weeks of butt scratching while under the influence of massive drug consumption (all legal), booze, and "yes buts" this is what I came up with.

Wide view:


Closeup of the result of all the butt scratching:


I would guess there is a better way to do the job but this jig works a treat. A quick four passes through the saw and a couple of passes on each facet with a plane and you have a octagon leg blank ready for the lathe.

ken


2 comments:

  1. Look interesting, may try that later on, if I ever get another set of legs done sooner than later...

    Bob, on the mend but with zero drive

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob,

      Good to hear you are better, I know the zero drive well.

      Wish I had the Oak waiting to be split but like you it would likely still be waiting.

      Pay attention to Doc Rudes and take care,

      ken

      Delete