Tuesday, May 09, 2017

Finished

Toy box with a 'pull' on the lid, it is now out of the shop awaiting delivery:


Several days ago I posted about Pfeil Carpenter Chisels, as a follow up, as dumb as it is to add chisels to my chisel collection I ordered a full set of the Pfeil's. It is hard to get all "these are the best" over chisels but damn Pfeil hit the sweet spot with these chisels with every thing from the price point to how they feel in hand, to the steel of the blade. Of course bottom line is YMMV because chisels are so subject to personal preference but if you are looking to buy some bevel edge bench chisels, do yourself a favor and include the Pfeil's in your search. BTW, as much as I like the Ashley Iles' chisels I expect the Pfeil's will replace the AI's as my daily go to chisel.

This next is an Old Fart writing about his medical problems...Mostly so I have a record of when things happen. Pass on by if you find it as boring as I do.

For several weeks I've had very bad lower back pain, I'm pretty pain tolerant, as an example back in the '90's I worked and flew airplanes for three months with a broken jaw. BTW I thought that was bad pain but compared to the last couple of weeks it was a walk in the park. Anyway cutting to the chase the pain was so bad I spent Saturday afternoon in the ER because I couldn't wait until my scheduled Doc's appointment Monday. The pain meds and whisky just weren't doing the job anymore. The ER started some meds that relieved some of the pain, the Doc's appointment Monday brought good news. The odds are I will not need surgery, that the problem can be controlled with meds and PT.

Don't get old, it is literally a pain in the ass.

ken


10 comments:

  1. My doctor used to tell me this every time I saw him - and he'd laugh at it every time. "The secret to good health: #1 is don't get old. Number 2 is choose your parents wisely."

    Not a lot of control over those things ...

    Hope you get over this back thing soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job on the toy box...hum wondered which tools he sneaked inside :-)

    Too late Ken, I am old and lower back pain is my day to day companion :-(
    Times like these I greatly appreciated my tractor with its dumping trailer so much easier on the back... that and Voltaren Extra strength:-)

    Bob, already too old to heed Ken advice

    ReplyDelete
  3. The toybox looks wonderful. I am sorry about your back pain. Mine is knees and feet, but the end result is the same. You just have to struggle to not let it take over your life. Sometimes I succeed, sometimes I don't.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The toybox looks wonderful. I am sorry about your back pain. Mine is knees and feet, but the end result is the same. You just have to struggle to not let it take over your life. Sometimes I succeed, sometimes I don't.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would like to find the SOB who coined the term 'golden age'. Getting old sucks and brings on more pains and aches that I can't ignore anymore. Good luck with the drugs and PT for the back as that is a better alternative than going under the knife.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great looking box. I am sure it will be much appreciated by the grand peanut.
    For the back I suggest to find a good physiotherapist, perhaps that can help a bit.
    Good luck with whatever treatment it ends up with.
    Brgds
    Jonas

    ReplyDelete
  7. Matt,

    Ain't that the truth, choosing your parents wisely helps in the wealth department as well.

    ken

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks guys,

    I was going to take the box to Texas this weekend but the boss changed my plans.,The kids are coming out here to pick up the Dodge truck sometime soon. They have a weak ass 1/2 ton Ford trying to pull a RV, I will not go into what I told the SIL when he bought the Ford but...anywho. They have a Honda Fit, it will make a better toad for the motorhome than the Dodge. Gramps bails 'em out.

    No surgery, just drugs and PT....that's the good news if there is any. I guess the other good good news is I'm a tough old bird and not much will slow me down.

    ken

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ken,

    The toybox is great. Seems like many of us have the same challenge with regard to skeletal pain. Hope the PT and meds help.

    Andy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Steve D10:17 AM

    Ken,

    My a$$ and neck feel fine but I've been told I am a carrier for pain there. Hope reading your blog hasn't caused any of this.

    ReplyDelete