No photos because, who knows....The stock for the tool chest lid had been setting on the end of the main work bench for a couple of days waiting for me to finish moving the shop fixtures around and making room on the benches to work.
I'd marked the stock out several days ago so all that was needed was room and setting up to start chopping the four mortises. I decided on 3/8" mortises mostly for two reasons, the mortises were going to be 50mm deep and I find a deep 1/4" mortise a real PITA to chop. May be technique but there is a big difference between chopping a 1/4" vs. 3/8" mortise. The only problem was the rails are not quite 4/4 leaving the cheeks a little thin. BTW, the rails are Cherry......I bet you can see what's coming from a mile away.
Sure 'nuff about 40mm into a 50mm mortise, the last of the four needed, the cheek split. I must have looked at it for five minutes working my way through the 5 stages of grief before the first "fuck" followed by several more. After finishing the required cursing and then looking at the split, it wasn't in an area of high stress and it was clean and attached, I opened it up, squirted some glue in the gap, clamped that sucker down, and went to Costco to graze on the free samples and to pick up something for dinner.
When I took the clamp off this morning, even knowing where the split is, I can't see it. Once coffee time, scratching doggy butt, and getting Msbubba out the door is done, I'll carefully remove the last 10mm of the mortise and then start on the tenons.
The panel is ready for glue up.