Tuesday, February 02, 2021

Tormek

For the last couple of weeks I've worked in the shop almost every day but mostly doing house keeping and sharpening of tools and kitchen knifes. The Tormek is worth the note just for sharpening knifes, it does a great job, very easy and quick. I've also found by using the small knife jig it works a treat on shavespoke cutters. I have a low speed grinder with a CBN wheel and while the Tormek is slower than the grinder by the time you stop to cool the cutter several times the time to shaped is about the same or even faster with no danger of overheat.  In spite of my love/hate for the Tormek it is a keeper.

The woodworking has been making kitchen tools, I'm lucky MsBubba's favorite wooden tool is a very simple spatula (bottom row of the photo).


 There is a ton of work to do on the Motorhome to be ready for the Oregon trip, while it is several months away I can see a last minute rush in my future. There are also the decisions on what tools to take, which to leave, and finding room to fit the final kit. It is good the month of May is all PTO, the only question is do I work in June if called.

ken

 

 

6 comments:

  1. No more going to work. Tell them you are busy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ralph,

      I expect that will be the case :-). My hair needs washing often.

      ken

      Delete
  2. In the kitchen I regularly use a honing steel. It takes less than a minute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sylvain,

      As do I, but like cutters in the shop after some use they need to go back to the stones/grinder for re-shaping. The Tormek is good for that grinding and shaping of the bevel.

      BTW, even though I warned her, MsBubba cut a finger with one of the newly sharpened knifes this morning :-). That's the bad news, the good, the knife was so sharp it didn't hurt, just a lot of blood showed up on the cutting board.

      ken

      Delete
    2. My wife tend to cut vegetables toward her thumb. It is ok for peeling fruits and potatoes, otherwise I always use a cutting board.
      I know a friend of her who would become furious at the suggestion that one should sharpen her kitchen knifes. She doesn't want her knives to be sharp because she doesn't use a cutting board.
      Looking at Chefs on TV, they always use a cutting board.

      Delete