Thursday, July 23, 2020

The Gods Are Messing With Me

Sometimes you just have to laugh and wonder what you did to piss the gods off. I've been being a good boy with my ankle and it has responded well. Yesterday I did walk a little on it using a cane and it seemed ok until I went to bed last night. At that point my foot was hurting enough I couldn't sleep and finally around 0200 I took a couple of pain pills and got a few hours sleep. I figured I had over done the walking.

When I got out of bed and put some weight on my foot I noticed it didn't hurt at the strained ankle but instead at the great toe. A quick glance told the story, the great toe is swollen, hot, red, and tender. For the first time in almost four years I have a gout attack. It could be worse, the gout could have been on the left foot.

I've enough colcrys to run a course, miserable stuff but by tomorrow or earlier the gout will be gone. and maybe, just maybe I can stand at the sharpening bench and play with my stones. I need it, the last couple of days have been miserable. I do not get bored very often, I can almost always find a book or article to read but I'm at the point reading ain't doing the job. I need to do something.

Enough kvetching maybe time for a post about the beauty of JNATs or the difference in technique between JNATs and synthetic stones. Nothing like getting into the weeds on a sharpening post😏.

ken

6 comments:

  1. Ouch Take care.
    Your idea for that post on the diffs, I like it.
    I will be waiting for it :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob,

      Not going to be a simple post but one that I think is needed. I know I struggled with learning to use JNATs and still may not know all I need.

      ken

      Delete
  2. Fully understand the antsy part. Sucks to want and not be able to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ralph,

      Yeah, MsBubba is not here, It is just me and the dog, love the dog but she is not a good conservationist. Our talks usually consist of "I love you, now give me a treat":-).

      I may make it to the shop today, if so about all I will do is a little sharpening.

      ken

      Delete
  3. The "difference in technique between JNATs and synthetic stones." My favorite subject! Lay on McDuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stan,

      Yeah, exciting. While small, from my experience real, and mostly deal with the way you think about grits and polishing.

      ken

      Delete