Thursday, February 27, 2020

When All Goes South Sharpen Something

Over the years I've collected Pre-War (before mid 1930) Marples chisels. Most of the chisels have "carver" Box wood handles but there are a few with "London" pattern handles as well. Both types are well balanced and a joy to use. For some reason, I would guess not as many London pattern were sold, the London pattern chisels are harder to find.

One of the nice things about Marples chisels is there was a clear break around the early 1930's in the shape of the tang, going from a flat hammered tang in the early chisels to a round cast tang on later chisels. That's all you need to know other than how much pitting there is on the back to determine if a chisel is worth buying.

From left to right the first chisel is a Pre-War chisel with a flat tang, the second is a post mid 1930's chisel with a round tang, the third is a late model (not a clue when it was made), and the last two are early chisels.


Because I've been banned from heavy lifting for the last couple of weeks I've spent time getting a working set of Marples chisels prepped and in the chisel rack. Along with the bench chisels I also have a five chisel set of Marples pattern maker chisels that have not been used because most likely the previous owner was a carver and they all have a back bevel.

I'm still doing the "yes but" routine on what is the best way to sharpen/get rid of the back bevel on those chisels. One way is to grind 2 or 3 mm off each chisel but I hate to waste that much length. Another would be to just grind, hone, and polish the bevel and get rid of the back side wire with a strop and over the natural progression of sharpening slowly remove the back bevel. The chisel would likely not be as sharp as it could be but I expect it would be "working sharp". Whatever, unless someone can convince me otherwise I expect that will be the plan.

BTW, as stated earlier the chisels are a joy to use, very light weight, good balance, good steel that is easy to sharpen but also holds an edge, and a wonderful feel in hand. The closest modern chisels are made by Ashley Iles but while nice they are just close.   

ken

15 comments:

  1. Your bright plan should work just fine, the edge will shift slightly each times, meaning it will cut and feel different each time, but subtle changes over a while.
    Besides, a double bevel chisel (AKA carver gouge) is handy in the shop, the back bevel help you steers the chisel edge out of the wood. Similar action to using a bench chisel bevel down to attack the wood.

    I would not sacrificed a few MMs (or more correctly a few fractions of Imperial inches :-) of good metal, sacrilege, to grind it out.

    Bob, who often thinks, less is more

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob,

      I think you are correct, I'll just sharpen without maintaining the back bevel and in time it will be gone. Besides best I can tell the old guys didn't worry about flat backs at least not to the level we do today and their cutters worked pretty good.

      ken

      Delete
  2. I think your "modern" chisel is from 1960-70s. Here is a catalog from 1959
    https://archive.org/details/Marples1959CatalogueAndPriceList/mode/2up

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  3. a good Marples history site. Marples was bought by Record in 1962
    http://www.marplesplanes.com/history/

    Bob, making french onion soup. Onions have been deglassed 3 times, the smell of the broth ahhhh. Gruyere cheese ids grated, soon, in a few more hours :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob,

      There you done it, it is cold here and a big bowl of onion soup would be perfect. I may have to do the same but until I guess I'll make do with a couple of red chili tamales for breakfast.

      ken

      Delete
    2. Keep me a bowl I will be there soon!

      Lionel exhausted to clean that snow mess

      Delete
    3. Lionel,

      There is always room in Casa Chaos along with plenty of beans and tortillas.

      ken

      Delete
  4. Steve D6:31 AM

    I have a collection of pre-WWIII chisels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Damn Steve, those must have been hard to find :-).

      ken

      Delete
    2. Steve D10:21 AM

      Let's hope it stays that way.

      Delete
    3. Steve,

      Same here but sometimes I worry. I grew up in the hide under the desk generation and Cuba, I'm not sure we were not safer then.

      ken

      ken

      Delete
  5. Laughing my ass off Steve :-)
    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a good bunch of old marples and they are my favorite and my go to ones. All are firmer with either London pattern handle or the same handle as on your pic and that last one is the one I prefer, they really fit my hand.
    Your post remind me that I have two dozen of them that are waiting to be sharpened for quite some time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lionel,

      I run hot and cold on searching for them. I have too damn many chisels but when I run across a nice one with a relatively clean back it is hard to resist. Like you they tend to pile up and while they are easy to work on it is still a PITA to get a chisel ready for the rack and the bench.

      ken

      Delete