Tuesday, December 24, 2019

Chair Legs

I just split out a couple of Red Oak leg blanks and worked on one with the draw knife. It makes for an easy decision, the Red Oak is so much easier to work than Honey Locust the legs will be Red Oak.

I have several 8/4 Honey Locust boards that have been hanging around in the wood pile for several years. I keep thinking I can find some use other than the fire pit for 'em but no joy.  The shame is once finished it is a pretty wood. The problem is getting there is not worth the effort.  The good news at least one of 'em is split and sized to burn, the bad is there are at least 3 or 4 more to go.

ken

2 comments:

  1. soft enough to carve as a seat bottom?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mike,

    There is no problem with stiffness, the problem is it tends to be brittle and very hard. It is very hard to get a smooth surface with hand tools and yes I know sharp cures most problems. Some problems are not worth the effort to cure.

    ken

    ReplyDelete