Sunday, October 07, 2018

Chair Stuff

Levi's chair is out of the shop. For what it is I'm happy with it, I think it meets most of my design criteria. One last photo:


Last night I glued up a seat blank using some 8/4 Honey Locust. I've not a clue if it will be a good seat or not but....

Ipad and Messenger are not playing nice with the glue up photo. Whatever, once the seat blank is out of the clamps I'll use this template to size and mark the seat.


While waiting for the seat blank to come out of the clamps it is "shop clean up" time. The tool room is a total mess and will take most of the day. The main shop mostly needs dust and shavings pick up with some organization.

The local Woodcraft should have a parking lot "Boot Sale" soon so I expect a good part of today's clean up will be spent loading boxes for the sale. 

ken


4 comments:

  1. Nice chair! Lots of rustic vernacular charm, better than most I see posted on the internet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wilson,

    Thanks, I've come to appreciate vernacular furniture. It fits my house, it fits my sensibility. It is who I am, a dumb old West Texas farm boy that got lucky.

    ken

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the chair. How old is Levi and what is the height of the seat?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ralph,

    Thanks.

    Levi will be 4 shortly after the 1st of the year. The seat height is 333mm (~13 1/8 for the metric impaired). Adult chair height should range between 450-500mm (17"-19"). I can't remember the height of the first chair I made for him but this one is slightly higher. I expect by the time he is around 6 years old I will make a third chair close to the low range of an adult chair. I also expect as Levi gets a new chair Abby Rae (the newest grandpeanut) will have the old one passed down to her.

    If I'm still looking at my rocks from above, in six years or so I'll make a fourth chair, adult sized, for Abby Rae.

    ken

    ReplyDelete