Saturday, February 15, 2014

I've had the Splits

I've had a bad case of the splits lately. I really do not think I'm doing anything different, nor am I forcing joints together with greater force than normal but damn I've had a lot of splits over the last couple of months. Not on every project but a lot more than normal.

Last night I was glueing up an Oak Step Stool I made for MsOK, It had been put together and taken apart several times in the process of fitting. Everything was well fitting, tight but would go together with hand pressure. Just the way I like 'em to fit. During the clamping I noticed one of the shoulders on the stretcher tenon wasn't quite seated and I tightened the clamps on the legs to pull it up. Yep, the leg split right down the middle.

I spent a lot of time on the stool and I really liked the design....Oh well, I will put a metal strap on the leg and I've needed a shop stool anyway.

I dug out another Red Oak board this afternoon and have started a new stool. This one a little less traditional design, it will be dovetailed with a through M&T stretcher. A three sided box with a stretcher for the fourth side.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:31 AM

    Good morning,
    I was thinking, do you think the weather had anything to do with wood movement on your project. Some guys say to assemble as soon after fitting as you can. Lately I have not practiced that. I've let the pieces lie around the shop while I stayed in a warmer place. Did the piece that split twist or cup on you, and just inserting it caused the split? Just wondering.....

    Boyce

    ReplyDelete
  2. WX shouldn't have much effect, dry here in AZ year around plus I had done a test run about 15 minutes before the glue up.

    Thanks for the suggestions,

    ken

    ReplyDelete