Saturday, February 22, 2014

A Couple of Step Stools

MsOK wanted a couple of step stools, one to use loading her kiln and the other for the house. I finished the second one last night after work and put on a coat of wax this morning. Staples' Dark Brown Paste Wax over Tried and True makes Red Oak sing.



I like both designs and will likely make both again. As the dovetailed stool is the cleaner build it will stay in the house and the other will go to MsOK's studio.


Next up, three side tables by request. As much as I dislike working with Oak, it can look very nice when finished. My guess is at least one of the side tables will be Oak. The other two, maybe light....Sycamore or Country Maple or if I decide to go dark Sapele or Cherry. Or maybe three tables, three woods....light, medium, and dark.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:55 AM

    Nice work :-) I once worked a lot with red oak, made a lot of benches and food displays for Winn Dixie grocery stores.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, I'd hate to work with any Oak while on the clock. Small projects like this where I can start over as many times as needed are OK. I guess it's kinda like having a baby, after it is over you forget what a PITA it was and enjoy the finished product and maybe even think about doing it again..

    ReplyDelete