Wednesday, August 21, 2019

I Listened To Sylvain

The other day Sylvain asked why I didn't use the portable bench to work on the new slab instead of carrying it back and forth to the shop. I was busted and gave a weakass excuse of having no room. I was kinda correct but after thinking about it and looking around the area I figured, if I didn't leave it up too long MsBubba might not say too much. I could put the portable bench at a 90 to the new bench where I could slide the slab back and forth as needed. It messes up sitting at the patio bar but as hot as it is now (111F this afternoon) we are not using the bar very much and it should save my back.  Thanks Sylvain.


It goes to prove the old adage that it is much easier to build a bench if you have a bench.

The slab is setting correctly on the bases, the vise backer has been trimmed and the crisscross pin hole has been extended into the leg. The chop has been shaped and is ready to be mounted. Next up is cleaning up and flatting the top of the slab.

Even though the bench is almost finished there are still a number of remove the slab and fiddle with something then replace the slab cycles to go.  It will be good to have the bench to slide the slab onto.

ken

6 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:57 AM

    Putting me in the title is too much honor for a simple suggestion.
    Sylvain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sylvain,

      Without you my bet is I'd still be breaking my back hauling that sucker back and forth :-). Sometimes the simplest are the best.

      ken

      Delete
  2. Sylvain offers up a lot of great tidbits. I will be trying to use this on my bench but I'm thinking of doing something with my saw donkeys instead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ralph,

      Yes he does, I always look forward to his comments.

      ken

      Delete
  3. Steve D4:05 PM

    I know it's a dry heat but 111F seems ridiculous. I'm afraid it will get much worse before it gets better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve,

      I wish it was only 111F, we have seen over 115F a few times in the last weeks. I'm ok up to 105F, this summer has been brutal and I expect like you I know it will get worse.

      ken

      Delete