Thursday, July 19, 2018

Slab Is Done.

Damn it is a heavy sucker. I'm a few years older than when I made the main bench slab and with it I did the whole thing single handed. This time I had help and the two of us old farts wasn't enough I had to call on help from the neighbor. Even with three it kicked our butts.

Whatever it is done and stacked in a corner out of the way until it is needed to fit on the base. For now I'm dead in the water until the 12/4 Ash is delivered.

After this afternoons sweatfest a break may be good. I just hope it isn't too long.

A photo of the slab standing in the corner:


ken

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous12:24 PM

    Looks beautiful.

    Sincerely,
    Joe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joe, it should be a pretty good slab once all is finished. There is a little extra length to play with after finishing the planned base size. BTW, I was shooting for ~3 1/2" thickness and it ended up just a hair over 3 3/8", if my sideways reading of the tape is correct.

      ken

      Delete
  2. Ken
    I've been thinking of your slab for the past few days. My first thought was it was a wasted use of wood to get the width. Then my second thought was, great it is heavy and that is good for a bench. Another thought was the glue up would lend itself to span a distance and not deflect. Another good point for a bench.
    I am still mulling the way you made your slab or try to find a thick, wide slab for my bench. I've also been thinking of using 2x stock like I have now. I'm going to have to make a decision one way of the other. Following your bench builds just keeps adding more questions with mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ralph,

      Thanks. Yep to all of your first thoughts. With a glue up slab you will burn some wood getting everything even after the glue up but when finished the wood is oriented for the greatest span strength.

      Slabs are hard to find in the size needed here in the desert, back East could be a different story. I've made a slab from construction grade 2X10 or 2X12s, I forget which, using the same method as this slab and it made a very good slab which is still in use. BTW, on smaller benches (shorter span) I've used thinner one piece slabs and they work fine as well. Kinda depends how big your planned bench will be.

      Good luck, I'm sure whatever you decide will work.

      ken

      Delete